I’m happy to say that there’s a veritable plethora of musical activities this week.
- The delightfully named “Let’s Get Funked” offers a DJ spinning house tunes at Apero Free
- There’s a gay positive New Year’s Reception at Café Rocco in Kessel Lo tonight from 7pm onwards.
- The weekly residency that is Club Stuk starts at 11pm tonight and offers free admission.
- Radio Scorpio has Lazy Sunday at OPEK which runs from 2-6 and is free every Sunday.
- Later in the evening, you can proceed to Jazz on Sunday, another weekly event at 9pm at Stuk.
- Binger plays at 9pm at the Blue Cat. Incidentally if there are any blues or jazz musicians out there, The Blue Cat has a few dates open so you should contact Gert.
- The Lemmens Institute offers performances from Master students Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Times vary so check out their website.
- The Meet Up group will meet up at 8pm at de Metafoor. If you don’t belong to the Meet Up group you should think about joining. You can sign up for free online and it’s a great way to meet new people in Leuven and possibly even make some new friends.
- At Café Revue there’s a cover band playing called “Shakin’ Up” playing Rockabilly & Blues from 8pm. Unsure if there’s a cover charge.
- Rocksteady 7 play Het Depot, bringing their blend of Jamaican Roots and Jazz
- Mark Eitzel plays Het Depot at 8pm This is a solo show as he’s not touring with San Francisco based American Music Club, but to promote his 2012 release on the Merge label.
- Blue Suns will be playing a free gig from 9-midnight at Oase, one of my personal favourite venues of the many fine establishments in Leuven.
- For ladies who love the ladies, you can venture to Café Rocco in Kessel Lo from 8pm onwards. The event which is called either “Women at the Bar” or “Women on Tap” and occurs every 3rd Friday.
Gig of the Week – Friday 18th
Sorry people of Leuven, but the gig of the week is actually in Brussels. Recyclart is hosting an electronic music night from 10pm-5am. For those of you unfamiliar with Recyclart it is actually a multipurpose building. By day it’s a functional metro station which can convert into a cultural space once the trains stop running. They host some amazing community projects and the director Dirk is truly an inspiring man. I would urge people to check out the gig and/or the organization.
There are several English language films playing at Cinema Zed this week. There is the time travel action flick “Looper” featuring my future husband Joseph Gordon Levitt. The Ang Lee directed “Life of Pi” is based on the Booker Prize winning novel by Yann Martel. There’s also “Searching for Sugarman” which is only playing on Sunday and Monday. This is a truly fantastic film and if you like music documentaries you should enjoy this. It’s well worth going just to hear the soundtrack.